Ants and insects are pests that no one wants to have in their home; however, we will probably have to deal with them at some point. Terro Ant Killer is a product that has been on the market for many years. Terro is one of the most effective and famous ant killers among users. However, is Terro safe to use around pets?
Terro is non-toxic to dogs, cats, pets in general, and humans if ingested. Terro has a sweet taste with a maple syrup-like consistency, making it palatable to dogs and cats. If your pet eats it, it may experience symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea, but it will not die from intoxication.
Without a doubt, Terro is the most effective and well-known product for eliminating ants and other pests. However, suppose you live with your pets in the house. In that case, it is always natural to investigate more about how these products affect our beloved pets. Today we will learn more about Terro and its safety when we have pets at home.
Terro is a poison for ants and other pests based on a compound that resembles pancake syrup. This sweet taste makes Terro very attractive to our pets, which makes them try to eat it. Terro is a safe product for pets as it has low toxicity to animals and humans but not to ants and other pests.
The primary active component in Terro is Borax. Borax is also known as sodium borate, disodium tetraborate, and sodium tetraborate. Borax is a white, granular mineral common ingredient in many household cleaners we use daily.
Other ingredients in Terro include essential sugars and gels, which create an effective channel to deliver the poison to the ants.
As mentioned above, borax is the main component of Terro. Borax is a natural mineral that you can find in many everyday products. This component is a mineral and a salt of boric acid.
It is usually found in grocery stores next to laundry detergents as a white powder.
Besides being the main ingredient in Terro, Borax is present in many everyday products such as toothpaste, laundry detergents, cleaning products, and makeup products.
Borax and boric acid are not the same thing, but they are related. Both are boron compounds and can be toxic if ingested.
Borax, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is a boron compound, a mineral, and a salt from boric acid. It is typically found in a white, powdered form that dissolves in water and is commonly used in laundry detergents, cosmetics, and enamel. It can also act as a fire-retardant and an antifungal.
Conversely, boracic acid is also known as hydrogen borate, boracic acid, and orthoboric acid. It is a weak boron acid found in insecticides, antiseptics, and as a flame-retardant and neutron absorber. It is typically a colorless crystal or white powder; both dissolve in water.
Borax is a form of boron taken straight from the ground as a mineral found in cleaning products. Boric acid is more refined and processed and is used in chemical products. Both borax and boric acid are toxic to people and animals when ingested, but they are not necessarily dangerous to handle.
In terms of pest control, boric acid is more effective than borax. Boric acid kills certain insects by absorbing into their bodies and poisoning them. However, it’s important to note that too high a concentration of boric acid can actually repel bugs. Most commercially bought baits and traps will only use 5-10% boric acid in their formulas.
Terro is one of the best products to kill ants when we are unfortunate enough to suffer an ant infestation. Terro is a product that is non-toxic to humans and animals.
However, keeping pets and small children away from this product is recommended as a precautionary measure. Remember that Terra has low toxicity, and the probability of harming the pet is relatively low. Still, taking precautions will never be an excess.
If your dog eats an ant trap, there is no risk of poisoning. However, knowing that ant traps contain an oily substance is essential. This substance could make the animal sick and present diarrhea if your dog or pet eats it. If your pet ingests several traps simultaneously, you must take him to the veterinarian since this material can block the intestines.
A common ingredient in ant killers that is safe for pets is diatomaceous earth. This ingredient contains fossilized remains of tiny aquatic organisms called “diatoms.”
Traps are highly poisonous to ants and other pests, but they are not a source of poisoning to our pets. Most traps do not have enough toxic components to kill a dog or cat. Manufacturers understand that people will place these products in locations where animals and children are highly likely to be present.
Most ant and pest traps contain some poisonous components combined with sweet substances to attract these insects. Even traps containing Borax only have a small amount that will only affect the ants.
The main concern for owners and veterinarians when a dog eats one of these traps, is the plastic surrounding it.
Each type of ant trap is unique and may come with its specific warning label. In addition to traps, there are also other alternatives available, which include:
- Terro ant traps: this trap contains 5% Borax as its main pest control component.
- Raid ant traps: this trap has 0.05% avermectin for ant control.
- Enforcer ant trap: this trap uses abamectin as its main active ingredient.
- Combat ant trap: this bait contains 0.001% fipronil.
All of the ingredients in these traps are incredibly poisonous in large quantities. For this reason, ant traps have a minimal amount of these components to affect only the pests they target. However, although these low amounts cannot be life-threatening to our pets, there is a possibility that they may cause gastrointestinal discomfort and distress. The best decision is to keep your pets away from these traps.
- Prevent Further Ingestion: If your pet is still chewing on the ant trap, take it away immediately. Also, remove any other ant traps that may be within your pet’s reach.
- Contact a Professional: Call your vet or the Pet Poison Helpline as soon as possible. If you can, grab the box the ant traps came in to provide them with specific information about the product. Follow the advice given by the professionals. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a vet.
- Monitor Your Pet: The plastic housing of the ant trap can cause lacerations, punctures, or blockages in your pet’s digestive system. Watch out for symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, bloody stools, inability to defecate, straining, obvious pain, or anxiety. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact your vet immediately.
- Prevent Future Incidents: To avoid such incidents in the future, place ant traps in areas your pet can’t reach. Consider investing in a dog-proof trashcan to keep discarded traps away from your pet.
The plastic covering the ant trap is the most dangerous part for pets. First, the pet can break the plastic into sharp pieces that can cause injury to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract. These pieces of plastic can be painful as they move through the intestine, not to mention causing a life-threatening obstruction.
Terro is a safe product for pets; since it is non-toxic, there is no risk of poisoning our pets. However, prevention must always be present when using these products. One trap contains too few chemicals to harm the pet seriously. However, if the animal ingests several traps or the plastic cover, we must go immediately to the veterinarian.